Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Gift

In Jan. having abilateral mastectomy and starting chemo. in Feb. It was a hard blow needless to say, I lost the main things that make you who you are, right?

I mean we all want to look good, don't we? Well, good was far from what I looked like! No boobs and no hair, I looked like an alien!

And then one day I stepped out of the shower, which was now scarrier than ever! Who was in the mirror? Was it still Melanie? Was there any beauty there? Was I still a women, now that everything that made me a women was gone?

All of these questions went through my mind as I stood there and almost immediately, the answer came!

These things have absolutely Nothing to do with what makes you, You!

What an amazing gift to get at such a trying time in my life.

I have learned much about my identity in the past few years, after loosing my three year old, then loosing my father, and then my boobs and hair!

Talking about a reality check!

My identity was not completely being Hunters mom, or Joe's daughter, or the girl with nice hair and boobs!

The gift I was given in loosing all of those things was ME!

Not that I am not still all of those things, God made ME and he loves Me and He thinks that I am beautiful, and he knows every tear I cry over the loss of my precious baby boy, and loosing my dad, and that I would face cancer.

He has and will continue to carry me through all of the trials I have been through and will go through.

Because of the gift of his son Jesus Christ I am able to keep on keepin' on.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You are such a blessing and a gift to us! Thanks for being so open.

Kelly Stockwell said...

I am so happy that you have a blog!!! Keep writing! Come visit my blog when you get a chance!
Love you!

Tennessee Mama Duck said...

It is so good to see you blogging! I know that you have many words that will encourage and lift others! It is also good therapy for you!

I love you, friend.